If you were not living on Mars for these past few years, then you should have heard about telecom threat, fraud, and online frauds. Such fraudulent activities are increasing day by day, just have a look at what has happened to Talktalk in the past week. Some of the common activities include credit card theft, identity fraud, and computer hacking. Criminals are regularly updating their skills and using new methods to cheap people on a daily basis.
It is important to know about their cheating methods and stay alert in order to stay ahead in business. You may wonder that your company has advanced VoIP system, and you can stay protected against criminal telephone hacking. But that is not a true scenario. There are chances for VoIP fraud. It can cause major issues for your company that could be devastating. In the present scenario, the VoIP phone fraudulent activity is seen on a high rise.
VoIP telephone system hacked
Recently, a CEO of a small company in Manhattan faced an issue. The CEO reported that his VoIP telephone system has been hacked and they have received a bill of $45,000 for making outgoing calls to Cuba. It has happened in just three days. The telecom fraud investigation team has found out that the hackers have accessed the company phone system to make the calls. They have easily accessed because the company does not have necessary security features in their telecom system. Moreover, there were two major problems that resulted to this extent.
Why were some of the problems exacerbated?
The VoIP system installer did not provide maintenance and support services to the company. The company responded late when the long distance carrier informed the customer that they have been doing unusual calls to Cuba. The service provider should have cut down the traffic and stopped the outgoing calls to Cuba. Apart from the warning, they should have done that to secure the service. The carrier did a mistake by cutting the entire long distance service. This made the customer stop doing the business. It is necessary to take some immediate actions if you find your VoIP connection have problems. Here are some guidelines an tips that will hopefully help to eliminate VoIP fraud:
- It is necessary to change the system administrator password from time to time. The password should have complex and lengthy alphanumeric characters. Though the manufacturer has given a default password, it should be changed by the user.
- The system should send an alert to the administrator if the lock has been removed or opened. The alert feature is provided by most of the telecom service providers.
- Check whether the entire voice messaging and multimedia interfaces to PBXs or call managers are appropriately restricted.
- Administer transfer restrictions in adjunct and integrated peripheral equipment. Ensure to block access to trunk access codes and ARS codes.
- Protect abused features with barrier codes, authentication codes or forced account codes.
- Ensure to review and manage all out calling and thru dialling from adjunct equipment.
- Do not permit default entries in permission or restriction lists.
- When it comes to protecting voice message mailboxes, ensure to fix and implement customaries for complex passwords.
- If the hackers try to break and misuse your system after breaking the above standards, then you have to approach the experts for an advanced secured telecom connection.